Fertile Journeys

February 21, 2010

Trip #2 to L&D

Filed under: Uncategorized — by lhoham @ 3:55 pm

We made our second trip to Labor & Delivery yesterday…and still no baby!!!

The contractions were coming stronger and more frequently yesterday so we decided it was time to go get checked and figure out what was going on. We left the house around 3pm and drove the one-hour to the hospital. I was having some pretty strong contractions when we arrived (such that when the nurse said she had our room I had to wait a moment for the contraction to stop before I could even get up!).

The doctor checked me and I was still NOT dialated….I’m not even joking. I was annoyed and frustrated and a bit pissed off to be perfectly honest with you. Seriously – five days of contractions and nothing…throw me a bone…lie to me…I don’t care just don’t say NO PROGRESS!!!!

I was seriously dehydrated as I was unable to really eat or drink yesterday at all. So they gave me three bags of IV fluids (I puffed up like a blow fish – you should see me – wait, you won’t because there is no way in heck I’m taking a photo right now). They also determined I have a UTI. So their two theories were #1) I was dehydrated and that was causing the contractions and #2) the UTI was causing the contractions. So….three bags of IV fluids later and I was still contracting like it was my job…and they were getting stronger, longer, and were forming a pattern. It was a textbook pattern – beautiful really on the monitor…I almost asked for a strip for posterity’s sake. Okay – dehydration was NOT my problem (although it felt good to be hydrated again).

Pausing for contraction….(for real….)

Okay…phew. Then they decided to try antibiotics to see if it would calm things down. They gave me that in my IV and came back about an hour later and….you guessed it…I was still contracting and in a ton of pain. They were running out of options. They decided to give me 10mg of Procardia to see if it would calm my uterus down. Now, mind you, I take 30mg of Procardia every night for my heart and thus far it has has no effect on stopping anything….none of us (doctor, nurses, Ross, myself) thought it would do a darn bit of good, but I took it anyway. And nothing happened.

Finally the doctor came in and checked me for a third time (oh so fun). I was still NOT dilated, but a bit soft. I’m holding that like an olympic torch and feeling accomplished! It took a lot of work to become “a little soft.” She said we could stay in L&D and walk around to see if that induces labor or we could go home and wait it out. We chose to go home. It was 10:30pm at that point and we were tired. And none of us really thought walking around would make much progress (at least not enough to warrant staying there).

And here I sit. At my computer contracting away with a soft cervix that’s not dilated….on day six of my pre-labor. Oh! Here’s something exciting though! My “condition” has a name! Prodromal Labor – basically when you are at or near term and you are contracting but not making progress. It’s like this limbo stage. I had been told about it before but wasn’t positive that’s what I was really doing…but, it is. And it can go on…and on…and on…and on… I asked our doctor about it last night and she really didn’t think it would last “weeks” which was my fear. But, a friend on SK had hers go on for 15 days…and I’m on Day Six.

So where do I stand right now? Well I don’t stand anywhere because I’m too flippin tired. But, really. I’m not dialated (at all – in case you missed that earlier). I’m “soft” and 30% effaced (is that the same thing?). I’m in Prodromal Labor which can last for quite some time. I’m not in pain at the moment – only discomfort. I’m taking lots of antibiotics to combat this UTI. I’m contracting regularly (every 5ish min. or so – I’m sick of timing them). I’m ready to evict this kid. 🙂

More later…I’m off to rest and maybe have a glass of wine today (since my doctors keep telling me I need to have a glass of wine….doctor’s orders!)

Funny quote from last night: Background: I have this weird obsession with the monitor. I watch it like a hawk. I want CREDIT for all these contractions…weird, yes. So the little monitor thing that sits on my belly slid off and wasn’t registering and it was driving me CRAZY. I asked the nurse to fix it and she did. Then she left the room. Ross was so funny because he knew this thing was driving me crazy so he’s like…”Okay hun, squeeze away now – it’s okay.” 🙂 Perhaps you had to be there, but it was very funny and cute.

I hope other people out there are having some kids….since I’m NOT at the moment 🙂


  1. Boy do I ever feel for you! You must have the cervix of steel (and the cervix from hell) in there to still just be softening after 6 days of this crap. Wow.
    Hope it starts to open up in the very near future.

    Comment by Kate — February 21, 2010 @ 10:07 pm |Reply

  2. I say go enjoy a glass of wine! I almost don’t want to mention this part (hoping once you start any progress it just goes full on) I got all excited even on procardia to get to 2cm/80% and then two weeks nothing. Yes it’s nice they get to cook a little longer but that’s just mean. I stopped timing too. Not sure what to help – everyone said walking but I got too lazy…….

    Comment by Jules — February 22, 2010 @ 12:05 pm |Reply

  3. thanks ladies!

    i’ll post another update. sorry for the quick reply – tired.

    Comment by lhoham — February 22, 2010 @ 8:11 pm |Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: